Relais Louis XIII, a historical restaurant
Relais Louis XIII is housed in the heart of 6th arrondissement of Paris, on the remains of the Couvent des Grands-Augustins, the very place where Louis XIII was proclaimed King of France in 1610. Formerly a café-charbon patronized by Picasso who lived just across the street, it became the Relais Louis XIII in 1961. The restaurant’s interior features old stones and noble wooden beams, engravings, portraits of Louis XIII and Marie de Medicis, stained glass windows and antique Louis XIII style chairs. In stark contrast with the current trends, this restaurant of French gastronomy invites you to a chic haven adorned with authentic historical accents.
The Couvent des Grands Augustins was settled on the current restaurant location, extending from rue St-André des Arts to the Seine river.
1579, April 1
The Order of the Knights of the Holy Spirit was founded by Henri III in the Couvent des Grands Augustins.
XVth –XVIIth centuries
The Parliament of Paris held its meetings in the hall of the Couvent des Grands Augustins.
1610, May 14
As Henri IV has just been murdered, his son Louis XIII is made King of France and Navarre during a special session of the Parliament.